9.24.2008

A reluctant Good-Bye

Again it has taken me weeks to write a post! I'm still shy... a little. Yes, you laugh.

This "true north, strong and free" is quite a beautiful land. The trees are changing now. Eons before the southern sort change. I reluctantly say "good-bye" to Summer and "hello" to Fall. Muriel and I have somewhat amusedly asked almost everyone what their favorite season is. Is it coincidence that 8 out of 10 respond that they love the fall?

There aren't many maples this far north so we miss the oranges and reds on the canvass. But the dark green strokes (probably cedar or pine trees) against yellow puffs (birch) are quite charming. These days are windy. Sometimes it's cool and sometimes cold. Lately it's been warm, taking me to the other side of the world where one of my best friends is living a dream, harnessing that immense power with a sail! His other half's stomach cant take the waves. So, she bides her time with friends and family on land. 3 weeks down, 3 to go. Island-hopping from Cairns to Darwin. I am NOT envious.

Its good that there is lots to keep busy with here. Visiting our friends, studying with contacts, having Gospel Meetings, and searching for contacts does not leave a lot of free time to miss my parents or sailing. Yet we still find an afternoon free here and there. We are studying the Gospels of Luke and John with our contacts. In the mornings we study in Kings and Chronicles with our friends. The Old Testament used to be a maze that I would drop into now and again only to find myself lost. Since studying the kings it has become more like a map that has some uncharted territory but at least I can explore! Especially with Muriels help!

I have undertaken the study of the French language. It is a complex thing. When I think I have it right, I don't. Its as simple as that. Pronouns are relative, sometimes disjoint or stressed. Verbs can be reflexive but not indirect. Pronouns are indirect... or direct. All depending on a preposition! The Impefect Tense makes the imperfect tense. Yet I am proud of my workbook and all its 16 lessons so far. I have found a retired French teacher to tutor me. Mme Jestrebski. But she only tutors me if the weather is bad. Otherwise she wants to fish, and pick blueberries, and visit people. So among our travels and the weather I get to see her about once a week. I asked to go this morning while we were still close but it was sunny. See? Maybe I'll take a trip down on Friday.